By Yiep Joseph
The special court hearing the case against suspended first vice president Dr. Riek Machar and seven co-accused has adjourned proceedings.
The judges said they were not prepared to pronounce a ruling on Machar’s request to have his statement recorded in both audio and video formats.
The court adjourned the hearing during its 108th session. The session had been scheduled for the judges to deliver their ruling on the request.
Justice Stephen Simon told the court that the judges were not yet ready to pronounce the decision.
He said they had not completed writing the ruling.
Justice Simon also explained that the judges had been engaged in proceedings at the Supreme Court.
He said they needed more time to complete the ruling before delivering it in court.
The court then adjourned the hearing until Wednesday, August 19. The judges are expected to pronounce their decision when proceedings resume.
Machar’s legal team had asked the court to allow his statement to be recorded in both audio and video formats.
The request concerns how Machar’s statement will be recorded during the proceedings. His defense team wants the statement to be captured in both formats as the defense phase of the trial continues.
The case is linked to violence that erupted in Nasir, Upper Nile State, in March 2025. The violence occurred amid rising tensions between government forces and armed youth associated with the White Army.
The violence included an attack on a government military garrison in Nasir. The attack resulted in the death of the garrison commander, General David Majur Dak.
The government later accused forces allegedly linked to Machar of involvement in the violence. Machar has denied responsibility for the attack and rejected the allegations against him.
Machar and the seven co-accused face several serious charges arising from the Nasir violence. These include murder, treason, terrorism, destruction of property, and crimes against humanity.
The accused have denied the charges.
The Special Court was established in Juba to hear the case. The proceedings have attracted significant public attention because of Machar’s political position and the possible impact of the case on South Sudan’s peace process.
The prosecution has already presented witnesses and documentary evidence before the court. Its evidence has included material relating to communications and alleged coordination surrounding the events in Nasir.
The defense has challenged the prosecution’s allegations and is now presenting its response before the court.
The proceedings have also been conducted under security measures. Some parts of the trial have faced restrictions on public access as the court seeks to protect witnesses and maintain the integrity of the proceedings.
The court’s decision on Machar’s recording request is expected on Wednesday.
The ruling will clarify whether Machar will be allowed to have his statement recorded in both audio and video formats or not.
It will also allow the court to proceed with the next stage of the defense once the matter is settled.
