National, News

CTSAMVM Urges Parties to Recommit to South Sudan Ceasefire

By Chol D. Johnson
The Chairperson of the Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM), Teshome Anagawe Ayana, has urged all signatory parties and security mechanisms to recommit to the Permanent Ceasefire in South Sudan.
Speaking during the CTSAMVM Technical Committee meeting on Thursday in Juba, Anagawe appealed for renewed cooperation. “CTSAMVM respectfully calls upon all signatory parties and security mechanisms to recommit to the Permanent Ceasefire and to extend their full cooperation and institutional support to its mandated activities,” he said.
He emphasized that collaboration must include facilitating unrestricted access for monitoring and verification, approving planned activities in a timely manner, and engaging constructively in dialogue.
“Such collaboration is essential to strengthening oversight, reducing hostilities, and reinforcing collective efforts toward sustainable peace,” Anagawe added.
The chairperson noted that South Sudan has continued to experience serious violations of the Peace Agreement. He stressed that the current session would focus on broader security dynamics and their implications for the peace process.
“Agreements are upheld not by signatures, but through consistent compliance. Protection of civilians must be unconditional. Ceasefire adherence must be uniform. Accountability must be credible,” he said.
Anagawe revealed that CTSAMVM had formally requested an update on the status of Transitional Security Arrangements, particularly the deployment and training of the Necessary Unified Forces, through a letter to the Joint Defence Board on December 10, 2025.
“To date, a response has not yet been received. We reiterate the importance of timely information sharing to enhance transparency and support informed monitoring and reporting,” he noted.
He underscored that the durability of the Agreement depends on accelerated implementation of security arrangements, including disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration, unified force deployment, strengthened accountability mechanisms, and sustained political will.
The meeting also presented three pending reports from early February, including the killing of two girls in Juba County and an armed confrontation between government joint forces and SPLM-IO.
Senior party representatives, IGAD and RJMEC officials, defense attachés, and observers attended the session.
Jany Kaway Yoakhor of the South Sudan Opposition Alliance reiterated the importance of CTSAMVM’s role. “CTSAMVM must continue to conduct its activities, verifying and monitoring for peace in South Sudan,” he said, urging all parties to embrace peace to end civilian suffering.
Bior Leek of Former Detainees welcomed the resumption of the Technical Committee meetings and called for timely reporting.
“We want to see the deliberations of the reports. It takes quite a long time, because there are many violations accumulated over ten months,” he said, suggesting that reviews begin from February last year to identify which side violated the agreement.

Leave a Comment